11.12.2008

today I will feel like Buster Keaton's face






The day starts fine enough, the sun comes out. But, a series of emails/phone calls/random unfortunate circumstances will all but blot out the sun for me, and I will find myself getting introverted, insecure and depressed...


In an attempt to shake off the blues I will decide to ride my bike to the post office ( about 2 miles away) to buy stamps. Unfortunately, when I arrive, the stamp vending machine will be out of order and there will be a VERY long line for the service windows. Had I driven, well, lets just say I would have turned around and gotten back in my car. As is sometimes the case with government offices, things will not run well---or follow rules of logic...like, for instance, one of the 3 employees will choose to "take a break" although there is a line stretching nearly out the door. Twenty minutes later I will purchase my stamps ( a sheet commemorating Latin Jazz, bright and cheery --- not at all like Buster Keaton's face)
and I will stuff them in my back pocket and decide to take a long route home ( as I am still determined to lift the funk) and I will ride, fraudulently carefree, through some of the more beautiful parts of town. I will be about 30 minutes into the scenic ride home when I realize that the stamps are no longer in my pocket. I will decide (with determined hope) that it must have just happened and I will begin to retrace my route...which will ultimately bring me right back to the post office. I will not find my stamps and I will realize that I dont have enough cash to buy another set and that I have been gone for over 2 hours and haven't accomplished any of the things I set out to do:
1) get stamps
2) get out of victimy, sad sack frame of mind by riding bike and getting fresh air

well, technically I did get fresh air.