2.22.2008

on yesterday's walk

someone wrote the words "small penis" on the side walk
just, small penis.
no, I have a small penis
no, he has a small penis
no, she has a small penis
no, _______ has a small penis

just small penis.

an old Russian couple, probably in their late 70s
sitting on a bench,
and looking out at the ocean.
she was nagging him in Russian
and then his cell phone went off
and it rang with the cheesiest, casio-toned version
of "when the saints go marching in"
that I have ever heard.
hilarious.

a young guy with an Israeli accent
asked me to take his picture (with his camera, not mine)
so I did.
I liked that he just wanted a picture of himself.
It would have been funnier if he asked me to take a picture of himself with my camera.

I saw this magnificent creature


I noticed a Range Rover stopped in the middle of the road
with it's hazards on,
and two women standing over a seagull.
I asked if they had hit the seagull and they said no,
but someone else had and it was very much alive and
the women couldn't bear the thought of someone hitting it again.
It was sitting upright like a goose on her eggs
and it's tongue was hanging out the side of it's beak.
It was clearly in shock and had urinated in place,
staining its feathers yellow.
Someone (not the two ladies) had put two vienna sausages nearby
so that the bird would have food.
It was heartbreaking.
and I had to go to work.
The ladies had vowed to at least find a way
to move the bird to the grass.
I thought about it all day yesterday.

I didnt go by to check today.
but I am thinking about the kindness of those two women
and whoever left the vienna sausages.