1.30.2008

I discovered Marc Horowitz in the accidental way that I discover most things these days...by flinging my brain cells through cyberspace with an odd combination of focus and abstraction.

My entire afternoon was HI-jacked by watching his videos...
(with repeat offenses for weeks)
Marc's spontaneity is pretty infectious. I like the spirit of his work (which comes off like play)...it's simple, absurd, random, smart, fun and it makes me smile for days.

Then, THIS on his website...

To Celebrate the New Year…

I will be giving tours of my apartment during the whole month of January. If you or someone you know is in Los Angeles, don’t miss this special opportunity. Please just send me an e-mail at marc at ineedtostopsoon dot com and we can arrange a specific date and time. Happy New Year!


HERE'S OUR STORY:

-series of emails exchanged, tour set up: time, date (that weekend)
no address given.

-2 weeks later:

Ok!!! Sorry, I fell off the face of the planet, how about this weekend? So sorry to have fallen. it hurt and I have a bruise.

cheerio,
Marc


-address given.

-I am object of ridicule and folly for google maps and LA freeway system.

-I arrive an hour late.

-I get out of my car and an elderly man approaches me speaking Spanish. For whatever reason I let him go on for like 2 minutes before actually saying, "No habla espanol". He switches over to English and tells me that he lived in the neighborhood many years ago and was looking for Eduardo who used to live there (he points to house) and Eduardo's wife, Irene. Did they still live there?


Marc's neighborhood...former home of Eduardo and Irene

-I tell him I don't live here, but I will ask someone who does.

-I ring the buzzer, Marc's voice comes out the intercom, "Hello?". "Hi Marc, it's Bella. Sorry I'm late, do you know Eduardo and Irene?"

-"No, sorry.", says Marc. "No, sorry.", I say to the old man, and then walk into the building (which is an amazing old Victorian house turned into separate apartments.)

-Marc is visibly nervous and starts to straighten things, "Science of Sleep" is playing on the TV. "Is it okay if I smoke? I like to smoke inside." he says.



-there is so much to take in. Marc is adorable, fragments of projects are everywhere, it's like IDEA CONFETTI.





please take notice of rhino sticker next to bacon strip

-I like his mess, things feel artful...they tell stories of industry, and activity...objects with no common language are having beautiful relationships with each other.





-Marc makes us coffee and we talk about lots of stuff. Turns out we both grew up in Indiana and are both disturbed by the lack of face-to-faceness in the world today.


Marc's face facing my face

-We take a walk around the neighborhood.





this resident was not as friendly as Marc

-After hanging out for 3 hours, Marc offers me parting gifts (q-tips and beach towel)...Thankyou Marc!


some commentary from the sink of Marc Horowitz...




-gold star & extra sprinkles

-Oh. Also wanted to mention that there were thriving plants in every room. I always think thats an indicator of a kind person.