12.03.2007

insomnia/momversation


Almost midnight here and I feel, um, well, awake. I should be asleep. But, instead, I have a tired body and alert mind that keeps bringing me a dirty slobbery tennis ball like a Jack Russell terrier wanting to play.


My mom sent me a very sweet card and then, in her very dear way, included this 2 inch by 2 inch section from an article...

she writes, "NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED TO REST OF ARTICLE BUT DONT THINK IT WAS PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT"

here is the sent portion of that article :

You love your son or daughter who suffers from attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, but sometimes it can get to be a little too much.

You can take some solace in the fact that you are not alone. About one child in 20 is diagnosed with ADHD, says Dr. Rick Robertson, a psychiatrist with Valle Viste Hospital in Greenwood.

"ADHD is really a deficit of self-regulation," Robertson says. "it's not an inability to pay attention, but an inability to make yourself pay attention."


and it made me think of one our recent conversations which went something like this...

ME: I think I'll bring Tim to Missy and Pat's Holiday party.
MOM: Sam?
ME: No, Tim.
MOM: Well then,who's Sam?
ME: What?
MOM: Who's SAM?
ME: I don't know.
MOM: I thought you said you were bringing Sam.
ME: No, I said I was bringing Tim, you said Sam.
MOM: I'm confused, who's Tim?
ME: A friend of mine.
MOM: But wait, then who's Sam?