8.10.2007

momversation #11391103339


Me: Hi Mom.

Mom: Hi Honey.

Me: Your voice is dragging a little, are you okay?

Mom: I'm fine I just didn't sleep very well, I was up really late trying to figure out a problem.

Me: Well, maybe I can help. What is it?

Mom: I just can't do math, I dont understand numbers. Everytime I add it all up it's wrong.

Me: Ok, what are you trying to add.

Mom: Well, Cindy Eitlejorg spent $360 on catering, and Edna van Riper spent $160 on Eddie the bartender and drinks, and I spent $266.84 on invitations.

Me: What 's this for?

Mom: The Strickland boy is getting married. It was a shower for his bride.

Me: Ok, so what's the problem, are you trying to split things evenly?

Mom: Yes. But I keep paying more than Edna! I just don't understand it.

Me: Did you add everything up and divide it by 3?

Mom: Yes, but it's different every time.

Me: Ok, well 360 + 160 + 266 = 786. Divide that by 3 and you get 262. So everyone owes 262.

Mom: No that's not right, I think Edna owes me 53.

Me: Are you getting that from adding 266 and 160 and dividing it by 2?

Mom: Yes, but that's still not right. If I paid 266 and she paid 160 and then she pays me 53 that makes her contribution only 213 and I still paid 266!

Me: Yes, but you now also have a check for 53 which is like you only spent 213.

Mom: But we still have to pay for the catering!

Me: The 360? Why dont you and Edna each just write Cindy a check for 120?

Mom: NO! You're not listening. The bill is sitting over at Edna's. She has to pay the $360!

Me: ^#%&&%@??? Huh? I thought Cindy paid for the catering.

Mom: NO! Edna and I are splitting the catering, we're splitting the cost of the whole shower!

Me: Wait, where does Cindy Eitlejorg come in?

Mom: She just arranged for the caterer, Edna and I are paying for it.

Me: Ok. I think I understand now. So we're just splitting this 2 ways.

Mom: Right.

Me: Ok. (deep breath) So, at the end of the day, you will each have spent $393.

Mom: Wait, how did you get that number?

Me: I added the cost of everything and divided it by 2. 786 divided by 2 is 393.

Mom: Talk slower, I'm writing this down.

Me: Mom, you don't need ...ok I'll talk slower. So the easiest solution is to have Edna pay for the catering (since the check is at her house) and you send her a check for $127.

Mom: But then aren't I paying more than Edna? No, wait, she's paying more than me. Now, I'm confused who's paying more.

Me: (#@@##&^&**+_^%^##$^$%$) NO ONE, it's an even split!

Mom: Now dont get all huffy! You have me writing Edna a check, remember.

Me: I KNOW, BUT EDNA IS PAYING FOR THE CATERING SO YOU ARE REIMBURSING HER!

Mom: NO WERE SPLITTING THE CATERING!

Me: (Silence, pause, deep breath) Mom, I'm going to need to hang up now and call you back in a little bit.

Mom: You really have no patience and temper control problems, you always have.

Me: Goodbye Mom.