5.21.2007

the definition of insanity


Me: I'm looking into taking voice lessons.

Mom: Hmmm (disapprovingly) Why?

Me: I'm not trying to become a singer or anything, I'm just looking to focus on unlocking my expression--- I thought it would be helpful to learn from someone who knows how to open up the voice. Plus, I think it would be fun and feel so good to sing.

Mom: That sounds expensive.

Me: Mom, can't you just be supportive?

Mom: How am I not being supportive? I just think you cant afford lessons and I dont see how it's gonna help you with your art. You express yourself to me just fine.

Me: Oh Mom, you don't get it. It's ok. I shouldn't have brought this up. It reminds me of that saying about the definition of insanity.

Mom: I don't think I know what your talking about.

Me: There's a saying, that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Mom: That sounds like depression.

Me: Let me put it another way...It's like going to Nordstrom's and expecting to come home with groceries and enlightenment.

Mom: Ok. Well I still don't understand why you need singing lessons.